Legal Resources & News

Horse Licence

August 07, 2017

"If you are living in a designated control area, you need a licence in order to have a horse. A licence normally lasts for a year. The local authority keeps a publicly available register of all licences issued."

"If you wish to ride your horse on a public road, you may do so provided that the horse has a licence, is fitted with a bridle and is under the control of someone over 16 years of age." 

View full article →

Bye-Law › Control of Horses Act › Control of Horses Bye-Laws › Horse Licence › Legislation › Licence › Stables ›

Animal Health & Welfare Act 2013

August 07, 2017

The Animal Health and Welfare Act 2013 consolidates and amends earlier legislation relating to the health, welfare, protection and identification of animals.

View full article →

Act › Animal Health & Welfare Act 2013 › Legislation ›

Control of Horses Act 1996 & Bye Laws

August 07, 2017
An Act to provide for the control of horses and to make provision for the licensing of horses in urban and other areas where horses cause a danger to persons or property or nuisance and to amend certain other enactments relating to animals and to provide for related matters. View full article →

Act › Bye-Law › Control of Horses Act 1996 › Council › Horse Licence › Legislation › Local Authority ›

Passport & Microchipping FAQ

August 07, 2017
Why a passport and microchip is required, how to apply, related legislation. View full article →

Horse Passport › Identification › Legislation › Microchipping › Passport ›

Identification: Horse Passport

August 07, 2017

European Union (Identification of Equidae) regulation 2016 (S.I. 62 of 2016) (as amended)

View Online

These regulations transpose Commission Implementing Regulation 262/2016 as regards the identification of equidae, into national legislation.

What is the penalty for not identifying an equine?

A person who keeps an unidentified equine commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a Class A fine (up to €5,000).


View a list of FAQs prepared by the Department of Agriculture.

Further Information on Equine Identification

More information from the Department of Agriculture on equine identification.

Horse Passport › Identification › Legislation › Passport ›

Transfer of Ownership of an Equine

August 07, 2017

Equidae (Transfer of Ownership) (No. 2) Regulations 2014 (S.I. No. 601 of 2014)

View Online

These regulations provide for new horse owners to register the change of ownership with the Passport Issuing bodies.

Change of Ownership › Horse Passport › Legislation › Passport › Transfer Ownership ›