DCC Drafting New Control of Horse Drawn Carriages Bye-laws
Published: Tuesday, 12 June 2018 Tags:
The current Dublin City Control of Horse Drawn Carriages Bye-Laws 2011 are not robust enough cater for equine welfare and human safety and urgently need updating. MLHR was advised bye DCC in June 2017 that the public would be invited to make submissions in September 2017, however this did not happen. The current Dublin City Control of Horse Drawn Carriages Bye-Laws 2011 are not robust enough cater for equine welfare and human safety and urgently need updating. MLHR was advised by DCC in June 2017 that the public would be invited to make submissions in September 2017, however this did not happen.
Since June 2017, My Lovely Horse Rescue carried out extensive research to identify all the issues with the current bye-laws and licensing system to prepare our recommendations for public submission:
When Will the Public Consultation Process Start?
According to an email received by MLHR from the Council (which we have summarised in the points below) it could be as late as September when the public can make submissions:
- The Council must agree at the Transportation Strategic Policy Committee meeting if it intends to make the bye-laws (either at 4 July 2018 or 12 September 2018 Transport SPC).
- The Council must advertise its intention to make bye-laws.
- The Council can then invite submissions by public consultation at least 2 months prior to making the bye-laws.
- The Council shall consider any submissions made to it and not withdrawn.
- The Council may then make the bye-law either in accordance with the draft or subject to such changes as the Council may, at its discretion, determine, or not make the bye-law.
- The bye-laws, if passed by the Council, shall come into force on such date as shall be specified in the bye-law, which cannot be less than 30 days after its making.
- According to this timeline the earliest the revised bye-laws could come into force is late 2018 or early 2019.
Next Important Milestone: DCC's 4th July Transportation SPC
MLHR want to see the bye-laws amended as soon as possible and have called on the Transportation SPC to ensure the bye-laws are on the July agenda. However, this is not guaranteed:
“There are proposals to bring revised Control of Horse Drawn Carriage Bye-Laws to the Transportation SPC, and subsequently go to public consultation, subject to the approval of the City Council. The revised Bye-Laws are being drafted at present and will be submitted to the Law Department for review…every attempt will be made to have the Bye-Laws brought to the 4th July, 2018, SPC meeting. If they do not make this [Transport] SPC meeting, the draft Bye-Laws will go to the following SPC meeting on 12th September, 2018.”
Dublin City Council, 6th June 2018
No Guarantees DCC will Enact New Bye-Laws
The Council are not obliged to incorporate any of the public submissions nor to enforce the new bye-laws. MLHR Call on the Council to Ensure Improved Legislation is Brought into Force.
Further Information on DCC's Transportation SPC
For more information on the process of making bye-laws, visit www.citizeninformation.ie.